Instant Pot Smart – Asian Braised Pork Shoulder
This was one of the first recipes I tried in the Instant Pot Smart so I talk a little bit about how I am using the Smart feature on the YouTube video above and I was still learning about pressure cooking. So please bear with me.
I have adjusted the recipe since making the original YouTube video and I have also tried using a pork shoulder roast (cut into four even pieces) for this recipe. All have turned out wonderfully flavourful and tender.
Asian Braised Pork Shoulder
2-3 lb pork shoulder roast or bone-in steaks
Salt to taste
2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
2″ piece of ginger, peeled and grated
1/4 c soy sauce
1/2 c rice wine vinegar
3/4 c chicken stock
1/4 c oyster sauce
1/2 c brown sugar
3 star anise (optional)
- Set the instant pot on Sauté. Once it says Hot, add the olive oil and brown the pork for about 3-4 minutes a side. Remove them onto a plate.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry for about 30-60 seconds until fragrant.
- Pour in the soy sauce and rice wine vinegar and simmer until reduced by half. Cancel the Sauté mode.
- Stir in the chicken stock, oyster sauce, brown sugar and star anise if using. Return the pork to the pot.
- Close and lock the lid, making sure the sealing knob is on sealing. Start the recipe program.
- Once the cooking is done, you can release the pressure by the quick or natural pressure release.
- Remove the pork and set the Instant Pot on Sauté mode and adjust the temperature to high. Simmer the sauce until the sauce thickens.
- Pour over the pork and serve with Jasmine rice.
Please let me know how it goes. Would love to hear from you.
Pressure cook on high for 45 minutes.