We have been invited to our hosts’ for dinner and I am making a crème caramel in the Instant Pot. Since I have very limited ingredients, this is probably the easiest recipe to make as it only has four ingredients!
2 cups whole milk
1 vanilla bean
2/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup sugar
- Open the vanilla bean by cutting down the middle lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with the back of your knife.
- Heat milk on medium heat, add vanilla bean seeds and pod, until just simmer. Set aside and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a separate small pot, heat 1/2 cup sugar and water on medium/high heat until caramel turns a deep amber colour (occasionally swirl your sugar). This will take about 5-7 minutes. Keep watch and make sure you take it off the heat when it’s done, otherwise it will burn.
- Slowly pour the caramel, coating the bottom and the sides of a heat proof bowl that will fit into your Instant Pot. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and 2/3 cup sugar. Remove the pod from the milk and add the warm milk to the eggs. Pour slowly, just in case your milk is too hot. You don’t want to scramble the eggs.
- Pour the custard on top of the hardened caramel. Cover tightly with foil.
- Add 2 cups of water in the Instant Pot. Place the bowl on a trivet and put in the pot. (Making a foil sling will make getting the bowl out easier.)
- Close and lock the lid, making sure the sealing knob is on sealing. Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes. Natural release for 10 minutes. Or start the smart recipe program below.
- Release the rest of the pressure and check for doneness. The custard will be set but still a bit jiggly. Stick a toothpick in the centre and it should come out clean.
- Remove the bowl from the Instant Pot and let cool for 1 hour. Then chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- After the custard has been chilled, run a spatula around the edge of the bowl. Place the serving plate on top and carefully flip the custard over.
Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes. Natural release for 10 minutes.
Voilà! Hope you’ll enjoy this very easy and delicious dessert.