One of the things I looked forward to most about getting the Instant Pot Smart was to learn how to sous vide, a function not really possible with the DUO. I don’t use this technique very often since it requires prep and I’m not great at prepping meals in advance but the results are always amazing! Perfectly cooked to the exact doneness you want.
My family was coming over for dinner and my mom had purchased a large box of a variety of beautiful meat from a restaurant supplier. I definitely did not want to mess this up. I would normally do the breasts on the stovetop as I did for my Duck Breasts with Blueberry Sauce. But I did not think I could cook all eight duck breasts at once while also making two racks of lamb, so, I thought the best way was to sous vide it all the day before and then all I needed to do was heat them up and brown it before dinner.
Sous Vide Duck Breasts
4 duck breasts
salt & pepper
1t dried thyme
- Fill the Instant Pot liner to the 10 cup mark. Start the script.
- Prepare the duck by scoring the skin with a sharp knife. Scoring the skin will allow the fat to render better when searing.
- Season the skin side with salt. Flip the breasts over and season them with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Place the breasts in a Ziplock bag or vacuum seal the bags and submerge them into the water bath as soon as the water is maintaining the temperature at 135 degrees F for 2 hours. Keep a thermometer in the water bath to maintain the temperature.
- Once the duck is cooked, heat up a frying pan on med high heat. Add the butter. Pat dry the duck breasts and place them in the frying pan skin side down for about 3 minutes. Once the skin is nicely browned and crispy, flip them over and cook for another minute.
- Let the breast rest for 5 minutes before slicing into thin slices. Fan the slices and serve.
Let me know if you give it a try!